Beginning as a humble Army fortification in the 1790s, Fort Wayne became the second largest city in the state, as well as the cultural and economic center of northeastern Indiana.
Founded at the confluence of three rivers--the St. Mary's, St. Joseph, and the hence formed Maumee--Fort Wayne stands astride a rich and storied history that begins with the 1792 order issued by George Washington for Major General ""Mad"" Anthony Wayne to secure and construct a permanent fortification at the headwaters of the Maumee. Wayne arrived on September 17, 1794, and the fortification was dedicated as Fort Wayne that October. When the military garrison abandoned the fort in 1815, the town became an important frontier outpost by 1829 with only a population of 300 people. Bolstered by travelers on riverboats and later railroads, Fort Wayne was hit hard by the Great Depression, but bounced back in the post-World War II economic boom. In the 200-plus years of the city's history, it has become an icon of Midwest gumption, weathering many highs and lows, becoming a hub for both sports and cultural arts while a thriving city of over 250,000 people has emerged. Postcard History Series: Fort Wayne
celebrates the growth and success of this city during the first half of 20th century.